Google search: Can you die from eating blue crayon?

This morning I woke up to a smell that could rival London sewers and shitty nappy (my sons, not mine); nothing new there. What was new were the tiny blue waxy chunks embedded in and around his soiled nappy. FUUUUUCK! I knew exactly what they were. Crayola. More specifically the blue Crayola he had the bright idea of chomping on yesterday. You see, my son has a really bad habit of eating crayons, especially when he knows nobody is looking.


One Google search later and I'm relieved to find out that eating Crayons won't actually cause him any harm.


"Crayons are made from inert paraffin waxes and colouring. As they are designed for the use of children who often engage in pica (the eating of non-food items) they are non-toxic. Eating crayons is possible and non-harmful". 




Thanks Answers.com. And thank fuck for that. While I was at it I decided to search whether his chalk biting habit could cause him any harm too..




"Chalk is not harmful in the sense that it can poison you. Because of it's consistency, however residue is easily ingested into the lungs and could possibly cause pulmonary distress." (Answers.com)




Pulmonary distress?? That doesn't sound good.. **scrolls further down Google**




"Eating small amounts of chalk is usually not harmful, according to MedlinePlus. Chalk, a form of limestone, is not normally toxic, but when consumed in large quantities, problems can occur." (reference.com) 




What counts as a large quantity? Problems? What kind of problems? Okay now I'm in panic mode **clicks read more**



"A person who eats a large amount of chalk can experience digestive symptoms, such as pain in his abdomen, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, states MedlinePlus. He can also exhibit respiratory symptoms, such as coughing and shortness of breath."




Okay, I've read enough. No more chalk.





No comments

Post a Comment